The Technology Innovation Agency (TIA) is calling for applications from grassroots innovators looking for funding, technical assistance and support for developing a new product or process up to prototype and proof of concept stage.
The Grassroots Innovation Programme is designed to identify and support local innovators and inventors who do not have a formal education or access to formal innovation facilities. The programme is aimed at commercialising local innovations that solve social problems.
Who can apply?
- South African citizens of any age (ID copy required)
- Individual (or representing a team) with an innovative solution that solves a clear social problem
- Have full ownership of the Intellectual Property and rights to the proposed solution
- Applicants who do not have ready access to innovation development support, infrastructure, funding or training
- Is willing to commit time to the programme activities for a maximum period of 24 months
- Preference will be given to applicants from North West, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, Free State, Northern Cape and Eastern Cape
- The stage of development of the solution
- Innovation in the use of technology and the quality of the solution to solving the problem
- Technical and financial feasibility of developing the solution
- Demonstration of clear social impact for a targeted market
- Whether a vision for the commercialisation viability of the innovation has been articulated.
For more information about the support package, fundable activities and how to apply, check: https://www.tia.org.za/blog/2021/10/15/gip-call
Deadline: 14 January 2022, before 17:00 pm SAT.